The cancer doctors at Northwest Georgia Oncology Centers (NGOC) are committed to providing patient-centered care and building a relationship with patients and their loved ones. We believe good communication and mutual respect are the cornerstones of any successful partnership in the midst of a battle requiring heart, expertise, dedication, and persistence.
Effective communication helps with patient care and reduces patient and caregiver stress improving satisfaction and confidence. To achieve effective communication, patients, caregivers and physicians need to gain a better understanding of each other to build the strong and trusting relationships resulting in the best patient-centered cancer care. Listening to your concerns, answering your questions and providing the best cancer treatment options available are ways the NGOC is fighting for you.
Here are some things you can do to ensure healthy channels of communication:
- Educate yourself about your or your loved one’s disease.
- Write questions down before appointments so you will not forget them. Not all questions beginning with “why” have answers, but we’ll listen, be encouraging and come up with the best, most advanced treatment plan available.
- Make a habit of taking notes during appointments so you can more easily remember what was discussed.
- If you have lots of things to talk about, make a consultation appointment, so the NGOC team can schedule adequate time to address your concerns.
- Use the NGOC website as a resource to learn about our practice and the patient-oriented services we offer.
And most importantly, get to know the NGOC oncology nurses and physician extenders. They are an excellent source of information and support.