Financial & Insurance Issues

Northwest Georgia Oncology Centers (NGOC) helps you navigate through any financial questions and concerns related to your cancer treatment.

Disability issues:

Many of the disabilities faced by NGOC patients may be temporary or permanent. The following are recommendations for determining what resources may be best for you:

  • Discuss your disabilities with your NGOC cancer doctor. Handicapped parking benefits may be available.
  • Discuss your situation with your employer related to job benefits, such as sick time, disability and retirement options.
  • Contact your insurance company to discuss existing or available personal disability policies.
  • Contact your insurance company to see if “accelerated benefits” are available. Many companies are now offering this option as a policy rider which could get you up to 90 percent or more on whatever portion of the policy (often 50 to 100 percent) to which the accelerated benefits apply. Payments are taxable at the federal level, but may be exempt at your state and local level.
  • If you have a permanent (whole or universal) policy, it may over time have accrued significant cash value as a result of your premium payments.  It may be possible to borrow the cash from the insurance company to meet current needs.
  • Investigate available governmental benefits. Social Security Disability is based on your diagnosis and is available when it’s determined you are permanently disabled. This should be discussed with your NGOC cancer doctor. Social Security Income (SSI) is a supplemental income available through Social Security for those who meet both financial and medical criteria. Age is not a criteria. SSI recipients also receive a Medicaid card each month to assist in the payment of medical expenses. Further information regarding application may be obtained at 1-800-772-1213.

Income tax deductions:
Medical costs not covered by insurance policies may sometimes be deducted from annual income before taxes. Examples might include mileage for trips to and from medical appointments, out-of-pocket costs for treatment, prescription drugs or equipment and the cost of meals during lengthy medical visits. Consult an accountant for the current year tax laws.

Federal and state governmental benefits:
Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), which provides child support payments to single parents (mother or father). Contact your local Department of Family and Children Services (DFCS) for more information and to apply.

Medically needy Medicaid:
Provides benefits to families whose medical bills exceed their income on a month to month basis, without placing limits on your income. There is a resource limit. Contact your local DFCS office.

Free counseling services are offered to Medicare beneficiaries in the areas of Medicare, Medicaid, Long-Term Care Insurance, and Medicare Supplemental Insurance. One-to-one counseling and aid in organizing paper work, filing claims, and understanding health insurance statements are part of the services. Call 1-866-55-AGING Georgia Cares – ext. 4 or visit

Veterans Administration:  Services of the Veterans Administration are generally available to current and past members of the armed forces and their spouses. For further information, call 1-800-827-1000 or visit

Property tax disabled homeowner protection:  Consult your local county tax commissioner’s office.

Credit card companies and other lenders (mortgage, car, etc.):  Credit disability benefits may be available.

Cancer State Aid:
Cancer State Aid through the Georgia Department of Public Health provides services to medically indigent cancer patients, including radiation therapy, chemotherapy, home health care, nutrition supplements, oxygen and equipment rental, as well as access to physicians.  For information, call 404-463.5111 or visit the GDPH website at